I ended up being chosen for their new program of high school leader -- which meant I worked with teens. Great! Of course, I was still 19 myself, but....
This is what I learned, in no particular order:
- warthogs are not shy (and they smell when they put their snouts in your face at six in the morning)
- mysogeny comes at any age and image (even good-looking 22 year olds)
- you can walk (and run and hike, even) with a broken big toe
- yellow jackets can be killed right out of the air
- having a spider crawl across your face in the middle of the night (a large spider, mind you) does NOT always cause a heart attack
- having a good tan doesn't necessarily hide the fact that you've gained ten pounds
- standing up against aforementioned mysogeny is a real high :)
- I am not a good swimmer; almost drowning sux!
- there's nothing better than a Colorado thunderstorm
Why am I thinking of this today? Not quite sure...but waiting brings all kinds of things to mind -- including ten weeks on Catalina the summer before I turned 20.