If you'd like to see my year-to-date four-plus- and five-star recommendations, visit Robin ReadsnWrites.
* I didn't make it beyond the first 20 pages.
** I made it to the end, but I either skimmed or skipped large sections.
*** I might have skipped/skimmed, but I liked it and might read it again.
**** I read at least 95% of the book and it was good -- probably will be reread.
***** I read every word, and I loved it! A favorite and definite reread.
1. Where Are You Now?, by Mary Higgins Clark ***+ It's been almost 20 years since I last read a MHC book, but when I saw this and another one at the library, I was curious to see what I'd think. They're easy to pick up and read, but boy, she uses tons of characters. And her twists are familiar, so I was able to pick out the 'bad' guys pretty easily. Still, it was a fun read, and it distracted me nicely. The story: Carolyn's brother, Mack, disappeared ten years before, refusing all contact from his family. However, each Mother's Day, he calls to let them know he's still alive. Carolyn decides she's had enough and wants to look for him, but when she tells him this on Mother's Day, he leaves a note in a nearby church's tithing dish -- and his note tells her to stay away! Instead, it fuels her determination, and when a girl goes missing from a nightclub nearby, the police decide it could be Mack...soon, not only is Carolyn looking for him, but he becomes a person of interest in the missing girl case. (Adult Mystery, released 4/08, publisher: Simon & Schuster)
2. Next week is the last week of school before the holidays, and things are crazy busy! Plus, since our principal's last day is next Friday, many parents are sad.
3. D's choir group (4th-6th graders) is singing in three concerts in the next 6 days -- and he has a basketball game and two practices.
4. E came downstairs in tears this morning. When I asked her what was wrong, she sobbed, "I'm just so tired." Yeah, me too, sweetie. Me too.
5. We're getting together with our good friends (and camping buddies) on Saturday night -- it's been a while since we've gotten to just hang out with them, so I'm pretty excited.
Happy Friday! What does your weekend hold?